Q: I've lost all horsepower. I dropped the tranny believing it was the clutch disc gone bad but after seeing it i realize im wrong.

The max speed i can go uphill is 10 mph. Put a brand new clutch in. Still drives as if it's slipping. The engine only goes into a higher idle as i slow down without giving any additional gas. The clutch still engages but doesnt go anywhere anytime fast. Dropped the tranny and there was residue in the shift lever when i took it off. Dont want to have to buy a new tranny and was wondering if it is the transfer case and what normal problems i can expect from 86 toyota pickups with a 22lr 2.4 liter engine.

Hi there. Since your Toyota pickup is 30 years old, it’s really difficult for us to pinpoint why you’re having these issues or common problems these trucks have. I have always found the driveline components of these pickups very reliable. However, over time, the clutch master and slave cylinders along with other transfer case components can be troublesome. In your case, the first thing I’d do is make sure the clutch is adjusted and installed correctly. If you only installed new clutch discs, this could be the reason you’re having this issue. A clutch rebuild should include all components that comprise the system. If you can’t find the issue, you might want to have one of our mobile mechanics come to your location and complete a clutch is not working inspection.

• I've lost all horsepower. I dropped the tranny believing it was the clutch disc gone bad but after seeing it i realize im wrong.