Q: I've got a knock it increases when I push on the gas should I just replace the engine?

So I go to accelerate from a stop light and my 4runner barely accelerates and starts knocking I didn't have cab fare so I drove it the rest of the way home about 5 miles. It only stops knocking about midway through the RPMS before the shift. Is it time to take her to the mechanic and get it running like new or is it time for a new car? Toyota Holds it's value fairly well I just don't want to fix something that would be worth less than my mechanics bill.

Hello, and thank you for writing in. A knocking noise may be coming from the engine or the exhaust. Without pinpointing the exact location of the repair, it is very difficult to compare your options truthfully. An exhaust leak will cause the engine to lose power and make a knocking noise. The timing belt, and accessory belts can also create a knocking and are fairly simple to replace. More serious issues may also be happening, but we will not know until we find out where in the vehicle the noise originates. With that being said, even serious repairs can be rebuilt or replaced. It all depends on the rest of the vehicle’s condition and its sentimental value to the owner. For more help inspecting the vehicle, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

• I've got a knock it increases when I push on the gas should I just replace the engine?