Q: I think my cv boot came off!

Car starts and revs in gear just fine, but when it moves there's a rapid clunking noise to my rear drivers side wheel. It almost seems like all the power is going to that one broken cv axle, that is it feels like

I am glad you asked this question. I am going to go through some steps with you to ensure that you have the correct problem diagnosed.

1. When you look at the wheel well on the side where you hear the noise do you see an excessive amount of grease?

2. When you jack your car up you would see the CV axle and it will look as if it is misplaced or hanging.

I want you to understand that you can’t drive your car like this and why. Your tires don’t turn all at the same time no matter if it is the front wheel, rear wheel, 4 wheel, or all wheel drive. So, you could have broken the side that does have most of the power going to it. Being that your car is all-wheel drive you driving power is going to start in the rear. You are going to want a professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic repair your CV axle because it’s not at all safe for your car to be driven without this part replaced.

3. I think my cv boot came off!