Q: I think I'm having minor problems. High RPMs, running hot, and delayed shifting

I have a 1994 Honda accord LX 4door and when I start it up my rpm is either really high or pulsating. It also runs hot.and when I put it in drive or reverse it take a few seconds for it to go.What could be the problem?

Hello. You appear to have a series of issues here. With the RPMs jumping like this, it is usually caused by a vacuum leak or a dirty throttle. Both of these will cause this to occur.

The running hot can be a number of things and they may or may not be related. If it has a leaking head gasket it can also cause the idling issues, so I would do a block test first. The overheating should be the priority repair before anything else.

As for the delay in shifting into gear, this is usually cause by low transmission pressure. I would check the fluid first. If the fluid is low, then this will occur so the fluid should be filled first. If the fluid is full but is dark or smells dirty, then you have a transmission failure that is starting. If you are planning on having this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose these issues and perform appropriate repairs.

• I think I'm having minor problems. High RPMs, running hot, and delayed shifting