Q: I replaced the rear U joints on my Chevy truck 3 times and as I take it for a test drive, the caps come off. What am I doing wrong?

I replaced the rear U joint 3 times and then I'll take my truck for a test drive and it will run fine for about 10 minutes, and when I slow down the caps comes off. What am I doing wrong?

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. On the u-join...

Hello, thanks for writing in. On the u-joint there are two different styles: there is an outer retainer clip and inner retainer clip. The location of the outer clip is mounted to the driveshaft yoke, with this design the pinion yoke located at rear differential has tags that hold the two u-joint cups in place with straps. The other design is inside clip. The clips are located on all four u-joint cups and that holds the joint in place at the driveshaft as well as at the pinion yoke, if you do not installed the clips the cups will work there way out and come off. Make sure the cup mount area is clean. The caps will come off if they are not properly torqued down, or perhaps they were not installed completely flush and centered, there would be a vibration or shake to the vehicle right away. If you’d like, a certified YourMechanic technician can come to your location to replace your u-joint.