Q: I replaced my tensioner and drive belt and the tensioner still jumps when its in gear. What could be the problem?

The tensioner is new. The drive belt is new. The noise is still coming from the area of the tensioner. When the vehicle is in drive gear the tensioner vibrates. The car vibrates when its idling. I do not know what else to do.

A: Hello. You may need to approach this issue ...

Hello. You may need to approach this issue from two different angles. One of which is to figure out if the tensioner is mounted incorrectly. Make sure the retaining bolt or screws are dry and tight. If the pulley wiggles when the vehicle is off, or has any excess play, this issue isn’t necessarily the engine. It could be that the drive belt tensioner is loose. This may be due to the components being stripped, the bolt or screw being stripped, or various other damages. If the tensioner pulley is on tight, the issue may be excessive engine vibration. This may be due to running issues, or bad motor mounts. The first thing to do is check the durability of the new tensioner and its installation. If the tensioner seems to be mounted correctly, then turn your attention to checking for excess engine vibrations.