Q: I recently replaced the power steering pump. I notice the fluid was leaking out of the lid. My check engine light came on as well.

I recently replaced my power steering pump. After five hours of driving I notice the power steering nose coming back. I checked the reservoir and it was empty. I added more, turned the engine on and watched to see if I could see a leak. It was coming out of the reservoir cap. I took it back to the mechanic he said it wasn't leaking from there, he said it's my rack and pinion. Also on top of everything my check engine light came on the codes are P0174, P0171. So I guess my question is what is going on with my car it all started with replacing the power steering pump.?

Hi there. Thanks for contacting us today. First off, the two codes you’ve listed are not related to power steering or suspension. They are O2 sensor or catalytic converter related codes. The P-0174 code indicates that there is a lean condition detected by the Engine Control Module (ECM). A lean condition will be created if there is too much air, and not enough fuel, in the air fuel ratio (AFR). The codes may have been triggered if power steering fluid has penetrated the sensors that activated these codes - but that is highly unlikely. I think it’s best to have a different professional mechanic complete a warning light inspection and power steering fluid leak inspection to provide you with a second opinion.

3. I recently replaced the power steering pump. I notice the fluid was leaking out of the lid. My check engine light came on as well.