Q: I put the key in the ignition and it turns, but my truck doesn't start

Put key into ignition and it turns but does not start

A: Hi, and thank you for contacting YourMechan...

Hi, and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. There are multiple elements that could be causing your starting problem. When you turn the key on, does the instrument panel light up? If so, this is an indication that you do have some power. Still, you will want to have your battery inspected to make sure it has a full charge. You should then check the starter relay to make sure it is functioning correctly. Next, try checking the starter itself and make sure the coil has not burned out. Then, check the battery grounds and make sure the ground cable is not corroded and has good contact points. If you need further assistance, consider having a certified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, diagnose and repair your no start condition.