Q: I put a new ignition switch in my 2004 chrystlwr pacifica but it still wont start, how do i program rhe ignition switch?

My car would not start the lights and every thin comes on but it will not crank so i put a new ignition switch in and it is still doing the same thing. Someone told me that the ignition switch had to be progrmed. How do i program the ignition switch?

A: If your vehicle is not cranking, but the ...

Hello.

If your vehicle is not cranking, but the lights and accessories come on then it may be possible that the issue is rooted elsewhere. I would verify that the starting and electrical system are in good order. A no crank condition can be caused by a faulty battery, starter, starter solenoid, relay, or any of the wiring associated with these components. I would start with checking the battery and starter, and go from there. If you wish to program your new switch and key, the procedure is as follows:

• Note: You must have two valid keys to add a new key to the system.
  1. Insert the first valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position for at least three seconds, but no longer than 15 seconds. Then, Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the first key.

2. Insert the second valid key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position within 15 seconds. After 10 seconds, a chime will sound. In addition, the vehicle security light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch to the lock position and remove the second key.

3. Insert the new key into the ignition switch. Turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position. Within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound. In addition, the Vehicle Security Light will stop flashing. To indicate that programming is complete, the Vehicle Security Light will turn on again for seconds and then turn off.

The new key is now programmed. The Remote Keyless Entry transmitter will also be programmed during this procedure.

Repeat this procedure to program up to eight keys.

If you need some assistance with this, consider YourMechanic, as one of our certified technicians can diagnose the starting issue firsthand and perform this procedure as necessary.