Q: I pressed the emergency brake pedal down but it does not return when brake cable is released

I pressed the emergency brake pedal down but it does not return when brake cable is released

A: Hello. thanks for writing in. If the pedal ...

Hello. thanks for writing in. If the pedal is not releasing, then that can be caused by a few different things. If there is pressure on the pedal when it is applied then it should have all of the brake cables intact. If the pedal goes to the floor then it may be that one of the parking brake cables are broken. I usually get the vehicle in the air and check all of the cables to make sure that they are not broke or seizing. If they are fine then the parking brake levers and springs in the rear brakes need to be checked. It can also be the pedal assembly, but that is not too common. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect your emergency brake for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.