Q: I own a 2002 Mercury Sable, 4 door. What is the hose that is immeadiately to the right of the engine block and left of the battery

I own a 2002 Mercury Sable, 4 door. What is the hose that is immeadiately to the right of the engine block and left of the battery? It is leaking a fluid (I think oil) onto the engine block which causes a white smoke when engine is hot.

A: First, this vehicle comes with two possible...

First, this vehicle comes with two possible 3.0 liter motors. By far the most common is the single overhead cam model. The dual overhead cam motor is referred to as a Duratec. From what I recall, and I have worked on a great many single overhead cam 3.0l motors from Ford, the hose you are referring to is the upper radiator hose. If my memory serves me right, as well as some Google image searches for the Duratec engine, it is also the upper radiator hose on the Duratec.

The upper radiator hose is part of your cooling system and if it is spraying coolant like you've described, you need to get if fixed ASAP. This can lead to overheating and failed head gaskets which could end up leaving you stranded on the side of the road. This is assuming you are talking about a rubber hose. If it is a metal hose of line, it could be a power steering hose. In which case you will eventually loose steering assist and the wheel will become difficult to turn on slower speeds.

Either way, you'll need to have this looked at. You should consider getting assistance from a certified mechanic who can diagnose the source of your leak at your own convenience and repair it as necessary.

Good luck.