Q: Brakes are locking up on my X5 but the dealer can't find the problem.

I just left work. I got two blocks away and my front breaks seized up. I was going 35-40mph and my car skidded to a stop. I could not go forward or reverse. It was like resistance. This happened Monday as well at my job in the parking garage. Does anyone know why?

Your car is equipped with a brake assist system. It’s designed to sense a panic stop situation and tie the brakes down hard. By sensing the speed with which you shift your foot from the gas to the brake and how hard you press the brake, it decides if you are in an emergency situation and trying to stop the car in a hurry and hits the brakes hard to take up your slack. I wonder it that may be the part of the system that is malfunctioning. Whatever is wrong, there should be a stored codes in the system that will steer the technician in the right direction. It may not be a code that can be read with a generic scanner. It may require BMW specific equipment and software. If your dealer says there is nothing wrong, you need another opinion. You can get one by contacting Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your car and tell you what needs to be done.

3. Brakes are locking up on my X5 but the dealer can't find the problem.