Q: I'm not sure if I should get a full diagnostic or if I should just replace a part

I recently went to Pep Boys because my service engine soon light turned on. They gave me a free scan and it came back "P0012" which is the camshaft position timing sensor. Knowing this, do you think I still need a full diagnostic or do you believe I could just go straight into replacing the part. I would prefer to not pay the extra $80 for a diagnostic if it is not necessary.

3. I'm not sure if I should get a full diagnostic or if I should just replace a part