Q: I'm looking into buying a cltruck with this description only to use for a few years. What issues should I look out for?

I would like to know first off, if it's a good deal, 1750 for the truck. I just wanted a good mechanics opinion on the deal.

There are five "versions" of the 2003 Dodge Dakota and the price depends on the version you are considering. Given the mileage (200,000 miles), if this is the cheapest 2D version (not the SXT version or higher), $1,750 is about the average sales price (private party, not dealer) if the vehicle is in very good condition. Some key things to look for are underbody corrosion on the brake and fuel lines, condition of the brakes, engine and transmission running condition, and suspension. Be sure the vehicle drives in a straight line with no unusual vibration at high way speed.

A pre-purchase vehicle inspection is a good idea. That inspection, carried out by a certified Mechanic, dispatched to your location, will give you very specific data regarding any current problems that the car has. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration maintains a database of consumer complaints, official recalls and factory service bulletins for all makes and models, by year. I encourage you to go to the NHTSA website and enter the vehicle’s year, make and model and review the existing reports which will give you an excellent idea of what has been experienced by other owners insofar as faults in the particular make, model and year you are interested in. Obviously, what you want to be looking for in that database is an indication that the vehicle "make and model year" is not a "lemon" insofar as reliability. Please do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic if we can assist you further in your attempts to make a wise used vehicle purchase.

3. I'm looking into buying a cltruck with this description only to use for a few years. What issues should I look out for?