Q: I'm looking at a jeep, but the transfer case is making some noise. It only effects driving when in 4WD. Is it worth buying and fix?

I'm looking at a jeep, but the transfer case is making some noise. It only effects driving when in 4WD. Is it worth buying and fixing? The jeep has a 4.0 fuel injected engine in it. The body has over 200k. But the engine mileage is unknown. Doesn't seem to have any rust or rot. Is the jeep worth it to buy. I can get it for $1800

Hi there. If the transfer case is making nose when in 4WD, then there is a possibility that the chain is stretched or the synchronizer is stripped. If you do decide to buy the vehicle, I would recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you diagnose the transfer case to determine the exact noise that its emitting. You may have to have the transfer case rebuilt or replaced.

3. I'm looking at a jeep, but the transfer case is making some noise. It only effects driving when in 4WD. Is it worth buying and fix?