Q: I'm having problems with my back tires; there has been some skidding and an unpleasant scraping noise coming from my back tires.

Around a week ago my car started making a scraping noise, nothing was too bad at first it was just the noise that bothered me so I was hoping it would go away on its own. However, a couple days after the noise happened the ABS light came in in my car. I didnt know what it was for so I left it alone. In the beginning the car would mostly make the noise when I would turn my car toward the left, but after a couple days it would make the noise no matter what. Yesterday when I was on my way to work my back tires jerked while I was on the highway. I was going straight and it suddenly felt like the car was jerking to both the left and the right. I went slower and it helped a little bit, but I was still skidding. When I tried to go home after work it did the same thing. I didn't take the highway but it still felt like the car was skidding. When I look at the car it looks normal, there's nothing hanging from underneath the car and the wheels look normal to me. There's not a dent in the frame.

It sounds as though one of your wheel hubs or the bearings are sufficiently worn, allowing the wheel to tilt a bit, specifically while turning left. This suggests that the right rear wheel hub or bearings are the culprits and indicates that the brake drum is scraping against the brake backing plate. Another possibility is that the wheel speed sensor has come loose and rubs against something that rotates.

It is recommended that you get a certified professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, to come to your location and inspect the rear brakes for you.

3. I'm having problems with my back tires; there has been some skidding and an unpleasant scraping noise coming from my back tires.