Q: I hear a grinding when braking.

I hear a grinding sound when braking and the thermostat elevates above normal.

A grinding sound when braking could be an indicator of low pad material or shoe material depending on whether the grinding is coming from the front or rear axle. The sound may also be worn or damaged braking hardware. Either scenario means the brake system needs immediate attention to ensure safety.

My advice would be to have a mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, inspect your brake system to identify worn components and measure linings and other parts such as drums and rotors to be sure you are within the manufacturers specifications. Replace and correct worn and/or damaged brake system components.

The latter concern of the thermostat elevating above normal is a possible indication of a either a faulty thermostat or faulty engine coolant temperature sensor. A qualified technician should be able to check the coolant temperature sensor for proper operation and change the thermostat if the engine coolant temperature sensor is operating properly.

3. I hear a grinding when braking.