Q: I have to fill my radiator and reserve tank almost every week.

I had my radiator, timing belt, and water pump all replaced in 2016. I replaced the thermostat and spark plugs in 2016. I find that my car leaks coolant, and I have to fill my radiator on an almost weekly basis. Further, I have noticed that at times, my car hits 4,500 rpm's before shifting gears. I am at a loss as to what could be causing the leaks. Any input you might have is greatly appreciated.

Hi there. If the leaks to the cooling system are visible on the ground, then there is an external leak on the cooling system. Check all of the hose clamps to the radiator and water pump. Also, look to see if any of the coolant hoses are damaged causing the leak. If you cannot see any visible leak, then check the engine oil and the transmission oil. If the engine oil has coolant in it, then the head gasket may be damaged causing the coolant to enter the oil galleries. If the transmission oil has coolant in it, then the new or the older radiator may have been leaking inside over to the transmission cooler tanks. I recommend seeking out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you if you are unable to find the leaks.

For the transmission shifting at 4500 rpm’s, the output shaft speed sensor (also know as the vehicle speed sensor VSS) has a loss of power or is damaged. Check to see if the harness is hooked up to the VSS and see if there is any broken or frayed wires. If you need further assistance with your transmission shifting at a high rpm, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.