Q: I have taken my car to a mechanic today to have minor oil leaks fixed etc,,when i went to pick it up it would not start!!i went ba

I have taken my car to a mechanic today to have minor oil leaks fixed etc,,when i went to pick it up it would not start!!i went back in and told them my cars not kicking over so they have come out and then the next thing im being told is that i need a new starter motor,,i have not once had a problem or any signs with what i was told today i seriously need to know can a starter motor be tampered with???

A: I would doubt that the starter was tampered...

I would doubt that the starter was tampered with. Depending on the oil leaks that were fixed, you may have been leaking oil onto and into the starter which could cause it to short out. If the mechanic then cleaned the engine to include the starter after repairing the oil leaks, then the starter may have been shorted the rest of the way. I would have them jump the battery and see if it will crank over for you. The starter may just be wet from the clean up after the repairs. If you would like an independent mechanic to inspect the starting issue for you, a technician from YourMechanic can come to the car's location to scope out the issue and let you know what is going on.