Q: I have removed the alternator, and did not remove the fan clutch or radiator. The belt tensioner on my 1997 Lexus LS400 does not

I am replacing the serpentine belt tensioner on my 1997 Lexus LS-400.

I have removed the bolts for the alternator, and set it to the side.

I have remove all the nuts and bolts holding in the tensioner.

It now refuses to come off.

I don't have a lot of leverage spots, and I don't want to remove the fan or the radiator.

What would you do?

Hi there. The belt tensioner that you want to replace requires removal of the alternator and timing covers. These components overlap onto the tensioner. Caution is needed as I’m sure this vehicle has brittle plastic pieces and wiring harnesses. If the tensioner is not coming off, then there is still a bolt/nut installed or an overlapping part. Unfortunately, you will probably have to remove the fan so as to have proper access to the bolts/nuts you may not be seeing. I strongly suggest having a qualified technician perform the replacement to avoid accidental damages and many sources of stress. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you with a belt tensioner replacement.

3. I have removed the alternator, and did not remove the fan clutch or radiator. The belt tensioner on my 1997 Lexus LS400 does not