Q: I have been seeing AT and ABS lights while I'm driving, why?

While driving at time the AT orange light flashes on the dashboard for some time, then this cause the car to jack as if the gear is not properly engaged. If I reduce the speed the the AT light goes off. Occasionally when am driving I saw the ABS orange light and the car switched off at a hill, i engaged the parking/hand brake started the car and all was fine. After a few day while i was driving i saw the ABS orange light was on and the car was sort of like losing power, i had to switch of the aircon and radio, but the car did not switch off this time. The make of the car is Mazda Etude 1.6 semiautomatic transmission and it has more that 113 000 km of millage. I will really appreciate your advice in this regard.

Hello, thanks for writing in. When this is occurring I would usually scan the computer for codes first. From what you are explaining this can be caused by a voltage problem or from an issue with one of the speed sensors. I start by making sure that the alternator, the battery and the battery connections are fine. If they are then I monitor the vehicle speed sensor and the wheel speed sensors to make sure that they are all working properly. If those are fine then further diagnostics of the electrical system and the module need to be done, but most of the time this is a sensor issue. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose the AT and ABS lights for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

3. I have been seeing AT and ABS lights while I'm driving, why?