Q: I have been hearing a clacking sounds whenever I go over bumps.

I have been hearing clacking or thumping sounds when I drive over bumps. I recently had the shocks replaced but the noise is still there. Please advise what to do to get rid of the noise.

It sounds like the sway bar’s (anti-roll bar) links and bushings in your suspension have too much play in them. These are often the cause of noise when you go over bumps. Since your shocks are new we are going to assume that they are good and not a source of the noise. The sway bar links on your vehicle and connects the anti-roll bar to the suspension of your vehicle. These links use ball and socket joints because they have to be able to flex with the suspension. Over time the joints will wear and this will cause a loose joint.

Even a very small amount of movement can cause quite a clunk in the suspension when going over a bump. The same applies to your anti roll bar bushings. They are rubber and isolate the bar from the frame of your vehicle. Over time the rubber wears down and allows movement. This movement will also cause a clunk when you go over a bump. I would ask for help from one of the mechanic, they can check all these components and make any needed repairs to get rid of your noise over bumps.

3. I have been hearing a clacking sounds whenever I go over bumps.