Q: I have an issue with my #2 cylinder.

My truck was driving fine until one day I drove my friend to his job. I parked on a steep incline and turned the truck off. When I came back to start it, it had trouble starting and when I could get it to start I heard a loud rattle coming from under the hood. I got it towed to a shop where they hooked their code reader up to it and they told me the #2 cylinder had failed. They suggested that I had a bad lifter, so I took it home and went into the motor to look. As far as I could tell all the lifters seem to be operating fine. I don't know what next to look for, and if I'm even able to fix it without taking it to a shop. Money is tight so I'd prefer to do this myself.

Hi there. There are host of things that could cause your concern. Was the check engine light on? If so, what was the code? What were the diagnostic steps the shop you visited used to determine that it was a mechanical failure? Was a cylinder balance test or compression test performed? The noise that you described does sound mechanical, but I have personally seen a bad injector/spark plug combination cause a similar concern on a brand new vehicle during my tenure at a dealership. With the financial concern at the top of the list, I have to strongly suggest having a qualified technician perform an inspection to avoid replacing unnecessary parts and provide a thorough explanation of what is needed to repair the vehicle. Your Mechanic has several available technicians that can assist you a car is hard to start inspection.