Q: I have an Acura RXD 2014 and the horn suddenly comes on when I am driving especially when i am on a bumpy road.

i have an acura rdx 2014 and the horn suddenly comes on when i am driving especially when i am on a bumpy road.I tried pressing down the horn hard a few times but it did not work. Is there something i can do to stop this. It is not continuous but i never know when it is going to start.

Hi there. Based on what you’ve described it sounds like a possible broken spiral cable (clock spring cable) in the steering column. This wire is responsible for maintaining the electrical connections to everything on the steering wheel, including the air bag. Not all the wires break in one of these and your horn concern and/or an air bag light is usually the first sign of this part breaking. Hold down on the horn and cycle the steering wheel all left and all right to see if the horn intermittently works while doing this, if it does then this may be the cause of the erratic horn operation. Due to the airbag being the horn button, I strongly urge you to have a qualified technician inspect these components to avoid personal injury should the airbag inflate. Your best bet to have to have this taken care of is to bring the car into the dealer.

3. I have an Acura RXD 2014 and the horn suddenly comes on when I am driving especially when i am on a bumpy road.