Q: I have an '88 Chevy C2500 truck. My serpentine belt snapped, I replaced it, and it snapped again. All pulleys seem to be working.

My serpentine belt snapped. I replaced it, and after a lot of whining, it snapped again. After installation of the new belt - the belt seemed to be cycling properly, and the pulleys seemed to be functioning, didn't see anything seized up, but there was some smoke and the smell of burning rubber. I figured it was pieces of the old belt melting off, but then the new belt snapped within 2 minutes of driving it. I replaced the power steering pump and pulley about a year ago. They still seem fine. Nothing seems loose, and no rattling noises when it was running. I'm lost as to where to go from here... Help!!!

Hi John. Thanks for sending in your question today. Usually, there are three reasons a serpentine belt breaks quickly. First, it’s not installed or ’snaked’ correctly. Second, the tensioner pulley is damaged or the belt is not correctly tightened. Finally, the pulley’s are damaged or not correctly aligned. Anytime you replace a serpentine belt, you should always replace the pulley’s and tensioner as well as preventive maintenance. This is what I’d recommend in this case.

3. I have an '88 Chevy C2500 truck. My serpentine belt snapped, I replaced it, and it snapped again. All pulleys seem to be working.