Q: I have a lot of squeaking and squealing from the belt area

How do I know if it's the water pump that is bad? It's middle of winter here, car has not been over heating but squealing from the belt area is driving me nuts. Is it hard to replace water pump, I have put a new belt on so I know how to get that off.

I would first suggest you check to see if the belt is tight with enough tension. If the tension is not tight or the new belt is too long then replace the belt and tensioner. If tension is good and belt is correct length then remove the belt and check all the pulleys to see if the tensioner, idler, water pump or power steering is binding causing the belt to squeal. Replace defective water pump if needed.

3. I have a lot of squeaking and squealing from the belt area