Q: I have a light on my dash that my manual calls the ETC, or electric throttle controller.

It doeant happen often. Maybe once a day but my ETC light will come on at the same time my traction control light comes on and the engine will start to idle faster at around 1800 rpms. My manual says its the Electric throttle control. It looks like a lightning bolt with 2 solid linea on both sides. I can turn the car off for a few seconds and restart the engine and drive with no problems after that. I am wondering what this could mean, and how quickly i need to get to a repair shop?

Anything to do with electronic throttle control should be inspected as soon as possible. Today’s vehicles no longer have a mechanical connection from the gas pedal to the engine.- throttle cable. A series of sensors, switches, and motors are used to send signals from the gas pedal to the throttle body located on the intake manifold. Systems like anti-lock brakes and traction control rely on input from these sensors and switches to verify how much throttle you are applying. If any component in this system fails to send a signal, warning lights will come on and a fault code stored in the system. Restarting the vehicle only resets the system and the light returns once the systems sees the same fault occur a few times before turning the light back on and resorting to base settings, or "limp mode" which can effect things like idle speed and throttle input.

Have a certified technician diagnose why the traction control light is on to isolate the exact cause.

3. I have a light on my dash that my manual calls the ETC, or electric throttle controller.