Q: I have a lemon

problem#5 August 23, 2017 The Cruze started overheating again and my husband looked under the hood and discovered that the coolant was leaking out. So he added coolant to the car. the next day I drove the car again and it overheated. I then dropped the car off with Hardy Chevrolet on August 24 , 2017 and explained what had happen. I was informed that Hardy would perform a diagnostic test to try and determine what the problem could be. I received a call from a technician name Jason informing me that the car's Water Outlet was bad and the car needed a new hose and it would cost $226.00. I paid for the repair. 2 days later I am having the same problem with the car overheating and new problems are now present. White smoke was coming out of the exhaust and coolant and oil are now mixing together. I called Hardy back and they told me to bring the car back. So I paid 70.00 to have it towed back to Hardy. I received a call saying that I need a new motor.

Hi Lisa. Thanks for submitting your question today. I’m sorry to hear of the problems you are experiencing with the Chevrolet Cruze. I’m not going to defend the dealership or mechanics who completed the initial overheating repairs, but only state facts of what causes oil and coolant to mix. This is usually the result of a head gasket failure or an overheating situation that has warped the space between the cylinder head and the engine. It is quite possible that the original overheating episode may have damaged the head gasket. However, the only way to inspect this is to take the cylinder head off and physically look - or complete a compression test. If a component failure is found to be causing the overheating issue, most mechanics simply don’t think to check the damage that this COULD have caused. If they are telling you the engine needs replacement, it’s likely because damage occurred that they simply didn’t find initially. If you’re having frequent problems with this car, I’d suggest scrapping it and moving onto something different.

3. I have a lemon