Q: I have a "hop"

A "hop" is how my mechanic described it. It feels to me, the same as when the wheels are not balanced or when the rotors are warped (but it happens without the brakes being applied). It is noticeable at 45 mph then smoothes out. I feel it again (but worse) at about 75. I've had the wheels balanced & rotated, bought new tires, had the carrier bearing replaced. I haven't hit anything (other than the usual Michigan potholes). I have aftermarket rims (i'm thinking about trying the stock rims again to see if that make a difference). My usual mechanic is at a loss. He's a very reputable mechanic (not a shade tree). He didn't think it was the in the drive train because it does it in gear & in neutral. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would evaluate the springs, and shock absorbers. A weak shock in particular can set up a bouncing (hopping) cycle. If no problem is found there, I would recommend you use wireless, remote chassis ears to pin the noise (or "vibration") down to one corner of the vehicle. Once you have narrowed it to a quadrant, you can focus your efforts in that area by placing the micrphones. If you request a noise/vibration diagnostic, a certified mechanic from YourMechanic would follow the foregoing steps and resolve this for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. I have a "hop"