Q: I have a bad oil cooler, however I also am getting almost no boost at all.

When I push my pedal to the floor my rpms just shoot up like normal however my truck practically goes no where. The acceleration is very slow and I can't hear my turbo spool at all. I'm trying to find the cause of this however the turbo has been replaced and it's not the problem. The turbo started not really boosting about the same time my oil cooler went kapoot. Can these two parts be directly affecting each other? Thanks -Donny

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. This can be c...

Hello, thanks for writing in. This can be caused by a few different issues. If you had an oil pressure issue from a bad cooler then that could starve the turbo causing it to fail. If the turbo is not creating any boost then you may have a defective turbo, a bad actuator for the turbo or a restriction in the exhaust. No boost will definitely keep the engine from creating power. Also, it is possible that the turbo is not creating boost because the engine is not under load. This can occur if the transmission is failing. This is not as common as a turbo issue though. I usually check the computer for any codes first prior to testing the turbo control circuit and the exhaust. If you are planning on having this low power concern checked out, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose and repair this.