Q: I have a 89 mustang 347ci it's converted to a carb it's currently a 5speed what do I need to convert to an automatic? Do I need to

89 mustang 347ci converted to a carb currently a 5 speed what do I need to convert to an automatic? Do I need a computer?

The obvious things you will need: Check if the transmission mounts are different. Verify bell housing bolt pattern to fit the engine. Replace the pedal assembly with one from an automatic. Shifter and linkage. Transmission cooler and lines. You can accomplish that by either swapping in the radiator from an automatic vehicle, or installing a larger transmission cooler in front of the radiator or a.c condenser if equipped. As for the transmission itself. If you are using a 3 speed like a C-6 transmission, then it should work fine with the vacuum signals. If you are looking to use a 4 speed automatic, then you need to do some research. Look for shops or companies that do performance building and modifications for transmissions. They may be able to make the 4 speed auto work without electronics. If not, there should be some stand-alone control unit options. Try some of the vehicle specific internet forums as well. Chances are there are others who have done what you are looking to do and can provide a wealth of information.

3. I have a 89 mustang 347ci it's converted to a carb it's currently a 5speed what do I need to convert to an automatic? Do I need to