Q: I have a 2012 Chevy Malibu 4 cyl 2.4 L . I had to add coolant on a Monday it was way below level but light in dash did not turn o

DEalership did a pressure test on my 2012 malibu on the water pump because i had to add coolant twice in a week (a little less than half a gallon). I asked them to check for a leak. All they said was it failed, but did not say it was leaking. I have not had to add any coolant since I took vehicle for the routine oil change and checking of any leaks back on July 29, 2017. How does a water pump fail other than leaking? Also my temperature gauge has been normal before I took to dealership and after.
Final indication from the dealership : replace water pump and thermostat

A water pump can fail at any time. The temperature gage may have been normal because you have been keeping an eye on your coolant level and adding as necessary. If the vehicle fails a pressure test, this indicates there is a leak in the cooling system. If the Water pump is leaking, it should be replaced. Consider YourMechanic as this can be done at your home or office.

3. I have a 2012 Chevy Malibu 4 cyl 2.4 L . I had to add coolant on a Monday it was way below level but light in dash did not turn o