Q: I keep having acceleration problems, the mechanic keeps saying catalytic converter 2006 Pontiac Torrent

I have a 2006 pontiac torrent and I keep having acceleration problems the mechanic keeps saying catalytic converter but I've replaced it 4 times with the same problem returning the check engine light codes says it's running lean with catalytic converter codes as well it will be ok for a few days then start doing it again...when I'm driving it will go into a coast not losing power I'll push on gas car will backfire then eventually will accelerate again but initially with a big surge of gas causing rpm to go 5 then be normal a few more miles and will repeat problem and the problem is getting worse. The dealer sent it to Buick to have a full hour diagnoses and the result was the same a bad catalytic .... As an added note the dealer just put in a remanufactured engine in which the light was on after picking up the car after that was done

Hi there - I would look for a trusted 2nd opinion. Having multiple failures of the same type is both expensive, and an indication that the real source problem is not being discovered. Get the problem codes that are setting the Check Engine light. An auto parts store will do this for you for free on a "time-available" basis. A lean fuel mixture condition shouldn’t be "killing" catalytic converters at the rate you describe (but too rich will). A lean condition could be caused by an air leak in the intake, or malfunctioning oxygen sensors (pre-catalytic converter). I recommend a loss of power inspection performed by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, and give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.

3. I keep having acceleration problems, the mechanic keeps saying catalytic converter 2006 Pontiac Torrent