Q: I have a 2005 Mercedes benz cl500. The car won't start and my shifter is showing reverse. How do I start it?

My car won't start. The shifter moves but it keeps showing reverse on cluster. I have tried over and over to start with key and nothing is happening. What do I do?

Your car has an electronic shifter module and unfortunately, that is a common failure. It may be telling the control module that the car is not in park so the start is not enabled. But don’t go out and buy an ESM yet, there are some other possible issues. A scan with a Mercedes capable scan tool is in order. there should be codes stored related to this failure to start that can help with the diagnosis. Contact Your Mechanic to have a technician come to your home or office to diagnose your no start issue and let you know what it will take to fix it.

• I have a 2005 Mercedes benz cl500. The car won't start and my shifter is showing reverse. How do I start it?