Q: Power steering

But if I worm up the car or on hot days it works good. Why does it work good only when hot

Hi There, Your car’s power steering system works by use of hydraulic pressure that runs through the pump which is powered by the motor by a belt. There is also a series of lines and valves that the power steering fluid runs through in the rack and pinion system. Assuming your power steering system is working properly, when the engine is cold, the power steering fluid may have a slightly higher viscosity (thickness) to it, which can make move a bit slower than when the car is warm. In some cases, however when the power steering system is not working properly or may struggle to build the required hydraulic pressure to power the system, this may also cause the steering wheel to be hard to turn. i would recommend having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your power steering system to be sure it is in good working order.

3. Power steering