Q: I have a 2001 Volkswagen Gti 1.8t automatic, drive will not engage unless it rolls a few inches what could be the problem?

I have a 2001 Volkswagen Gti 1.8t automatic, drive will not engage unless it rolls a few inches so it seems like it’s in limp mode but when it engages into drive it switches through the gears perfect. But reverse will engage immediately. Transmission fluid was checked.

Hi Tanner. Thanks for submitting your question today. Usually this issue is caused by one of two things. Either there is an obstruction of debris inside the transmission hydraulic lines or an inner transmission seal is damaged. Although the transmission fluid might be good and at the right level, it is rather common for debris from the filter to break off and cause this type of obstruction. Perhaps flushing the fluid and changing the filter will resolve this problem.

3. I have a 2001 Volkswagen Gti 1.8t automatic, drive will not engage unless it rolls a few inches what could be the problem?