Q: I have a 2001 Volkswagen Gti 1.8t automatic, drive will not engage unless it rolls a few inches what could be the problem?

I have a 2001 Volkswagen Gti 1.8t automatic, drive will not engage unless it rolls a few inches so it seems like it’s in limp mode but when it engages into drive it switches through the gears perfect. But reverse will engage immediately. Transmission fluid was checked.

3. I have a 2001 Volkswagen Gti 1.8t automatic, drive will not engage unless it rolls a few inches what could be the problem?