Q: I have a 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora, and I was wandering how hard is it to replace a exhaust manifold gasket ?

The car feels like it's missing when warmed up, and I can feel exhaust coming from the front of motor

A: Hi. The exhaust manifold gasket can be a tr...

Hi. The exhaust manifold gasket can be a tricky job to do because the exhaust manifold bolts and studs break. If you do not have the right tools it is very hard to get the broken studs out of the engine block and can turn this job into a headache. I suggest you have a certified tech from YourMechanic come out and diagnosis the problem you having with your car.

A: Hello and thank you for contacting YourMech...

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. It is not that difficult to replace the gasket on the exhaust manifold. You will need to remove the crossover pipe and the heat shields on the manifold if there is any. Keep in mind, the exhaust bolts may break so you will need to have a portable torch, drill, and a tap available to help get out the old bolts or studs and to clean up the threads to install new bolts or studs. If you need assistance replacing your exhaust gaskets, then seek out a technician, such as one from YourMechanic, assist with replacement of the exhaust manifold gasket.