Q: I have a 2001 Hyundai Elantra with 202k miles on it. Recently I noticed that my car jerked when going between first and second gea

My car is jerking at 20-25 MPH. After that point it drives fine. I put transmission fluid in (1 quart) but it seems like that didn't help. Any ideas on what to do next?

Hi Jasmine. Thank you for taking time to write in today. Generally speaking, when a car makes a jerking move while shifting, it’s due to an obstruction of debris inside the transmission fluid lines. An automatic transmission shifts best when the lines are full and free of debris. So, it’s probably best to have a professional mechanic complete transmission fluid service to change the oil and filters for starters. If this does not resolve the issue, then it’s likely that the transmission has internal seal or gasket that is damaged, which would require rather costly repairs.

3. I have a 2001 Hyundai Elantra with 202k miles on it. Recently I noticed that my car jerked when going between first and second gea