Q: I have a 2000 Dodge Caravan sport 3.0 Power steering sticks when sitting still but when going it works

When my vehicle is sitting still but is turned on it is hard to turn the steering wheel but when the vehicle is moving the steering wheel is easy to turn is it the power steering pump or what?

A: Hello. From what you describe it would appe...

Hello. From what you describe it would appear that your vehicle is experiencing issues with power steering system. The symptoms you describe are commonly associated with low power steering fluid a faulty power steering pump. At low engine speeds, such as idle speed, the engine is turning the power steering pump at a low rate of speed, and produces only a limited amount of pressure to assist the steering wheel. When the engine is operating at higher rpms, such as when the vehicle is in motion, the engine turns the power steering pump at a higher rate of speed, and so more pressure, and therefore assistance is being generated for the wheel. The first thing I would do is check the power steering fluid, to make that it is not low, as this can also produce similar symptoms. I would also check for possible leaks, as a compromise in the pressurized system can also cause the wheel to become hard to turn. If everything looks okay then it may be possible that the power steering pump itself may be bad and needs to be replaced. If you are unsure, I would recommend having a professional technician, such as one from YourMechanic, come to your location to determine what may be causing the overheating issue.