Q: Intake problem

I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe, the air intake blew up. Literally sounded like a bomb. Big backfire but out the engine blowing up air intake into pieces. I replaced it...I believe catalytic convertors are clogged up...now that I replaced the air intake,upon startup the acceleration takes off...high ... what is causing this.

Hi There, A number of things may cause the motor to backfire, such as a lean fuel condition, an ignition problem causing crossover voltage to jump to the incorrect cylinder or an intake leak. Any number of these combined with just the right amount of fuel vapor in the intake may cause this kind of explosion which can be very dangerous as you know. A clogged catalytic converter may also compound the problem due to the amount exhaust gases that can accumulate as a result of the converter being clogged. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your Tahoe to determine what may have caused this kind of condition.