Q: I have a 1999 ford taurus ohs the fuel pump was replaced about two weeks ago at that time the fuel gauge reads as if it is empty e

My fuel pump in my car was replaced about two weeks ago the mechanics noticed after he finished it the fuel gauge was reading as empty even though it was three quarters of the way full and the service engine light is on he told me to bring it back in a few days when the gas was lower but each time due to the weather he was not able to do it so now this morning when I went to start the car it would not start even though it sounds like it wants to and I just put $20.00 in the tank Friday, any idea what it could be?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The first indication that something is wrong is that the fuel level sending unit was not reading. If the pump was brand new, then it was bad to begin with. The fuel float is attached to the fuel pump, and the entire unit is often referred to as the "fuel module". Now that there are signs the fuel pump too has failed, you most likely need to install an entire new unit. Do a quick test to see if the pump is trying to work at all by turning the key to the "On" position. Listen for the pump to prime (a faint buzzing). If you do not hear it, the pump is not working at all. For help resolving the issue, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

• I have a 1999 ford taurus ohs the fuel pump was replaced about two weeks ago at that time the fuel gauge reads as if it is empty e