Q: I have a 1989 vw cabriolet. When I 1st got it, it ran fine but would not start on the 1st try.

Then on day it didnt start at all. I put oil in it and it started so I took it to the mechanic. the mechanic changed the head gasket, timing belt, spark plug, both fuel pumps, fuel reservoir, cleaned the tank, flushed the fuel system. Then it took it for a test drive, it was fine. Then when he brought it back it did start. So he then changed the fuel distributor, still not start. There is a spark and gas coming to the motor and a has a good crank, but it is not turning over. My mechanic is out of ideas, do you have any suggestion?

I suggest having a compression test done on the vehicle to determine if the engine is making enough compression to run. This test would also help determine if the cam timing is correct. If the cam timing is not correct, you will not be able to start the vehicle because the valves would be partially open during the time the cylinder is trying to create compression. Your vehicle needs air, fuel, compression, and spark and the right time for it to run. If any one of these are not correct, the vehicle may not start. A weak spark can also cause a vehicle to have a hard time starting. Make sure that the fuel injectors are actually spraying gas into the cylinders. The can sometimes become stuck closed or plugged with contaminants preventing fuel flow from reaching the combustion chamber. If you would like further help, I suggest having a certified technician, like one from YourMechanic, determine the exact cause of your starting concern.

3. I have a 1989 vw cabriolet. When I 1st got it, it ran fine but would not start on the 1st try.