Q: Transmission not shifting

I have a 1987 Chevrolet pickup that moves freely in reverse but not in drive. It feels like it wants to go forward the higher I rev it but it's almost like the brakes are preventing it, although I know that isn't the case. What are some issues I should check for? Thank you

Hi There, I would suggest having a your transmission fluid changed to start with as low or dirty transmission fluid is often times the problem when the vehicle struggles to move in a particular gear. Other things may include a faulty shift solenoid or a bad speed sensor. Automatic transmissions use pressurized hydraulic (transmission fluid) fluid to change gears. Every time a gear change is required, the car’s computer activates a transmission solenoid, which directs transmission fluid into the valve body to engage the correct gear. When this is faulty or not working properly, this can cause a delay in gear shifting or in some cases cause the car to not shift at all. This type of problem is amplified any time the transmission is low on fluid creating a drop in hydraulic pressure. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

3. Transmission not shifting