Q: I have a 07 suburban ltz with 150, miles the fuel pump isn't cycling and takes a long time to strt how I check fuel mod wire color

The Chevy had a couple of codes, p0171 p0174 as I was driving home and it was slow to start I would have to turn the key over for about 10 seconds to get it to start I don't hear the fuel pump come on it does sometimes but it still start slow sometimes it'll start Right up how can I check the fuel pump control module under the spare tire I don't have a scan tool that turns on and off the fuel pump I just have a regular one that tells you what codes have been detected so do you know what wires I can test with the test light or cheap harbor freight voltage tester and how to do it what color wire should get power with key cycling I don't want to put this $300 fuel pump in and It not be the problem thanks in advance

Hello, thank you for writing in. The fuel pump module is protected by a relay, so you are correct in wanting to check the power supply to the unit before replacing it. It should be a full 12 volts. The color of the wires can change between sub-models and year, so the best way is to trace the wires and find out where they come or go from. You can also get wiring diagrams for the system from a repair guide specific to the vehicle. The power supply should be grey, while the ground is typically black. The ground wire will ground out close to the unit, and the power supply will be routed towards the fuse box in the engine bay. For more help replacing or testing the unit, you can always contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. I have a 07 suburban ltz with 150, miles the fuel pump isn't cycling and takes a long time to strt how I check fuel mod wire color