Q: i have a 02 cavalier and its overheating i changed the thermostat. then last night i left it on for 2 hours by accident and it ove

i have a 02 cavalier and its overheating i changed the thermostat. then last night i left it on for 2 hours by accident and it shut off

A: There are several items that work together ...

There are several items that work together to cool the engine. A failure in any one can cause the engine to overheat. The cooling fan needs to be operating properly, the water pump needs to circulate the coolant effectively, and the radiator needs to be able to allow the coolant to circulate freely and allow it to dissipate the heat. If any of these fail, or if the system is clogged to a point it doesn’t operate well enough, this will lead to an overheating situation. Also, if there is a leak, it can cause the temperature to rise above its operating temperatures. The cooling system is designed to be a closed system that uses pressure to aid in keeping temperatures down, kind of like a pressure cooker. If there is a lack of pressure in the system, the coolant is allowed to heat up above what a pressurized system will commonly see. A certified YourMechanic technician can come to your location to help inspect your overheating engine) in order to diagnose and repair this issue.