Q: I had a PS leak and whining in Oddysey 2007. I replaced the reservoir which has an integral filter, which stopped the whining but

I had a PS leak and whining in Oddysey 2007. I replaced the pump intake seal and reservoir which has an integral filter, which stopped the whining but not the leak. After a couple weeks the mechanic replaced a split hose, but whine came back and leak got worse. Next day took car back and discovered the mechanic had put a pressure tight rubber cap on the reservoir. Said he realized it caused system to go into vacuum, and was sucking air and leaking. He drilled a hole in rubber cap and leak stopped, but after a week of driving the whining is getting worse, but not leaking. Did the mechanic cause the pump to fail by causing cavitation with rubber sealing cap? He says pump is old, which it is, but the pump didn't whine before I took it to him; just leaked. I am trying to sell the car but now it has a terrible whine it didn't have before the mechanic fixed the leak and added the non-standard rubber cap to the reservoir.

Of course, the incorrect cap should not be applied to the reservoir; indeed, it is best to use an OEM cap (dealer supplied) and not aftermarket caps. The only way to determine the cause of any damage that might have occurred is to disassemble the pump. Even then, it can be difficult to determine if, say, lack of lubrication, was due to cavitation versus a low level of fluid due to a leak. If the whine is definitely coming from the pump, and if the cause of the noise is not low fluid, the pump is really not that difficult, or costly, to replace, especially if you request the work on a mobile basis. If you want the required diagnostic steps, and indicated repairs, performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a power steering system inspection/repair and the responding certified mechanic will get this taken care of for you. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.

3. I had a PS leak and whining in Oddysey 2007. I replaced the reservoir which has an integral filter, which stopped the whining but