Q: I got a transmission overheat message today for the first time want to know if it is safe to drive 7 miles down the road to church

I got a transmission overheat message today for the first time I want to know if it is safe to drive 7 miles down the road to church? My truck does make a humming sound when driving. I also noticed that it doesn't shift gears as quickly as it did before.

Never risk your safety if you feel uncomfortable. Try to get a ride to go to church, as I am sure you have friends willing to help.

As far as your Jeep, the first thing to check is your fluid level and condition. With the vehicle idling in park for 5 minutes, the yellow dipstick at the rear of the engine should be checked and smelled for level and condition. The fluid should be pink and the level should be in the "safe/crosshatched" zone. If the level is low, then I would recommend adding ATF MOPAR+4 fluid to correct it. This would also mean you probably have a leak. If the fluid smells burnt or is a dark brown, then you likely have an internal transmission issue. One of our qualified technicians can diagnose the sound from your car, and give you insight on whether you have internal transmission issues or a simple leak.

• I got a transmission overheat message today for the first time want to know if it is safe to drive 7 miles down the road to church