Q: I do not know if my battery or cables are bad.

I have been having problems starting my car, not to where it doesn't start but having trouble. I just cleaned both of the cables and screws and bolts. I noticed only the positive or red one was corroded not the negative or green. I plugged everything back up screwed everything back in tight as possible and its still having problems starting up. Not as bad but definitely some hesitation too start. The battery is not new but far from old and the cables look a little old but not enough for a problem.

Hello, thanks for writing in. It is possible that the cables are bad internally. Over time they will form corrosion inside of them that will cause this. Most of the time the problem is the battery though. I typically have the battery load tested first. If it fails then the battery needs to be replaced. If it is fine then I do a voltage drop test of the cables as the problem may be the cables or the starter. I always double check the oil too because low oil can affect how well the engine cranks over. If you would like help having this looked at, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.