Q: I change steering shaft in 97 Dakota and now steering want to automatically turn all the way to the right when car is on

I change the steering shaft in the 97 Dakota and now when I turn car on steering want to automatically turn all the way to the right

I don’t know how, but somehow the steering gear has been forced to one side. Inside the steering gear, aka; gearbox, there is what is known as a rotary valve. When the steering shaft is turned left or right, the valve allows hydraulic pressure to flow to one side or the other forcing the wheels in the desired direction. I can’t tell you why this is occurring in your case without a direct inspection, but this is the only part of the system that can make such a thing happen.

The gearbox could be bad, but I suspect this has something to do with installation.

I recommend the following inspection if you should require assistance. Steering wheel not responding properly. A certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office and complete this diagnosis at your own convenience!

Good luck!

• I change steering shaft in 97 Dakota and now steering want to automatically turn all the way to the right when car is on