Q: I can't find the crankshaft position sensor on my 01 outback

Code reading for a band crankshaft position sensor I can't find it to swap it out

The sensor is located in the front of the engine near the crankshaft pulley. It is typically retained to the block by a small (6 or 8 mm) machine screw/bolt. There is no OBD-II code that "identifies" a bad crankshaft position sensor. There is a code that reports an out of range reading has been, or is, being reported to the PCM but that particular code could set due to ANY fault in the circuit that includes the sensor including faults as mundane as a high resistance connection in the circuit or to the sensor. If you replace the sensor without directly testing it using an appropriate automotive scan tool, you run the risk of replacing a perfectly good part. OBD-II codes are NOT diagnostics. The codes are simply aids to a diagnostic and in this particular instance if a code "includes" reference to the sensor, it must be directly tested per the Factory Service Manual. To obtain a conclusive diagnostic, you can request a check engine light diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns as you decide what to do, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results at the lowest possible cost.

3. I can't find the crankshaft position sensor on my 01 outback